Friday, July 19, 2013

Emily's SEWING room!

Two years ago, my daughter, Emily, started to take sewing lessons at The Fabric Nosherie, a darling shop owned by Shannon Robinson in downtown Webster Groves.  She was immediately smitten with her new hobby and, to be totally honest, I was smitten for her!  Every month, Emily would go to her Sewing Club...she was originally in  Bobbins, but has since graduated to Spools (isn't that so cute?!?)...and she fell more and more in LOVE with sewing!  

Quickly, I realized that fabric was overtaking our dining room...and that I may need to "create" a dedicated sewing space for Emily.  


Here is the space that I decided to transform into Emily's sewing room.  This space is at the bottom of our basement stairs and has been many things.  In the past 10 years, it has been a "wrapping room"...a mini "play room"...the "record player room" and, finally,  "the treadmill room!" (By the way, for those who truly know me, you are laughing and know the treadmill room was the least used of all the options!)  The awkwardly shaped room was tiny and difficult to figure out how to place furniture.  You can see that below one entire wall is all closets, which is great for storage, but not for furniture placement.


This doorway leads into the REAL playroom.


This is the space where the treadmill once was...it is really the only space that can hold furniture.  The closet you see is my "wrapping closet" and it holds all things that go under that category...gift wrap, glitter, ribbon, scissors...and it is awesome!


I knew I need an inspiration piece to get me started on REdoing this room, so I headed to HomeGoods...and this is what I found.  This shelving unit was perfect with the six baskets to hold all of Emily's fabric. 


BUT, what made it even better was that it was DAMAGED!  Score!  


I asked for a discount due to the crack on the top of it and VOILA!  I received a huge discount and paid only $40!  This was such a steal considering the six baskets alone would cost more than that to buy!


I took it home and REpainted it white...and I was well on my way to REdoing this unused space and creating Emily's sewing room!


Stay turned for Emily's SEWING ROOM REveal!


No comments:

Post a Comment